Building a home is likely the largest investment that you will make so an Informed Decision is a Great Decision. Your new home should be an enjoyable experience and choosing the right builder is the key to a smooth process. The Builder is someone you’ll have to work with closely for an extended period of time- usually several months to a year or more between construction and the warranty phase.
We have simplified the process for you when selecting a builder. This check list will guide you in the right direction when selecting the right builder for you:
Make a List of Possible Builders
Create a list of builders who build the kind of quality home you want in the areas where you would like to live.
Do Your Homework
First, research the builders’ reputations online. Check out their Facebook Page, Google their name and refer to sites like Better Business Bureau. Check to see if they are a member of the Home Builders Association of Lexington. Visit the builders’ website and learn more about them. Do they hold the same values you are looking for in a builder?
- Find out how long they have been in business?
- Ask how many homes have they built?
- Are they financially stable?
- Have they changed their name due to financial constraints?
- Do they have a good reputation with Realtors?
Request References from Homeowners
Ask for a list of recent Homeowners to contact. You should also drive by on a weekend morning and ask current Homeowners what their experience was like. Here is a list of questions to ask current Homeowners:
- Did they deliver on what they said they would do?
- During the building process did they take care of any issues that arise during the building process?
- How was their callback process?
- Were they prompt about fixing items after closing?
- Did they keep you informed during the building process?
- Did they answer all your questions in a timely manner?
- Do you consider them a professional and knowledgeable builder?
- Did the quality of the home meet your expectations?
- Would you buy another home from this builder?